Monday, June 14, 2010

Kinectic Microsoft Media Briefing 2010

      I couldn’t get out to California for the Microsoft Media Briefing today, I’ll be heading out to E3 tonight.  But I felt I had to mention how completely and uttering underwhelming Kinect games.  I cannot see why ANYONE with an XBOX 360 would bother buying Kinect unless you have a little sister that is around 12 or for some reason your mom wants to play it.  Also, if you don’t have a big room for your Kinected XBOX 360, you might not want to pick this up.  The games look like they involve running in place, jumping, dancing, etc… You want to do that in your apartment?  Not me.

     The other games they showed were great even though they really weren’t surprises to anyone.  Also, what was with them spending what seemed like five minutes talking about ESPN on XBOX 360?  It’s video on demand, I don’t think the concept is too foreign to anyone.

      Not to be too critical, but it seemed like EVERYONE who was demoing the Kinect Stuff either got up way too early this morning or acting like they were having fun when they really weren’t.  This isn’t usually a big deal to me, but oh my god was it annoying when it was person after person.

    If this is the tone of all the new motion controlled stuff, another rip-offs of Nintendo’s stuff; count me out.  Unless your going to give me one for free of course.  Are you listening Microsoft, I hope so…

      The games that were shown were Call of Duty Black Ops; looks like a good game, but nothing earth shattering here.  Some good Gears of War 3 footage that was equally good but nothing too original, and finally a Forza Kinect game that looked like Kinect was basically bolted on other than the ability to drive without a controller (Upper Arm strength is going to be through the roof), and there was a very oddly staged Star Wars game for Kinect that had the strangest graphics I’ve ever seen.  They weren’t bad, they just looked fake?  I know… Had to explain.

     Seriously though, I’m starting to think that Microsoft knew this press conference was bad because they decided to give everyone a XBOX 360 Slim to all the reporters assembled to make up for having to sit through it.

   Oh and before any of you complain that this is the shortest commentary on a Press Conference ever, well that might go to show how exciting the many announcements were at the conference.

 

No comments: