Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Gabe Newell at a PS3 Press Conference? Is it the end of the World?

      

             While Portal 2 being on the PS3 probably wasn’t the biggest announcement but it was probably the most unexpected.  What I really loved about the Portal 2 announcement was that it was also the announcement of Steam on PS3.  Which can only lead to incredible things.  Not sure what yet, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.  I am a BIG FAN of Steam; so this made me really happy.

      The announcement of Twisted Metal for the PS3 was incredible and is probably the highlight of the Conference.  But I figured it would be, sorry David.  But on to the Move technology and the 3D that was so overly dominate at the Sony show that by the end it was getting really tiring.  OK, so this is the kind of thing made for people who can drop $3000+ on a 3D TV, $100 for Move, and then you have to buy the games.  That just isn’t going to happen.  There wasn’t ANYTHING that Sony showed, even in 3D that made me even moderately interested in 3D.  The whole thing seems so gimmicky that it all most borders on laughable.  I did like Move but it seems like maybe it also is just gimmicky and they fall into the problem that Microsoft is; that anything you do is simply a rip off of things you’ve done with the Wii just with better graphics.

      The horrible “relaunch” of the PSP made my stomach turn.  Why make new hardware when you can start more earnestly start hocking the original.  This just makes me incredibly disappointed, I really expected to see at least an announcement of PSP 2.

     Having played most of the games shown in the Press Conference by now.  At least those that they would let us play.  I feel like the biggest announcements were Twisted Metal and Portal 2.  Killzone 3, seems like it’s going to get lost in a market overflowing with FPS games.  There are FAR TOO MANY FPS games at E3 in general.  If I never see another new one, it will be too soon.

       Sony didn’t impress me and really it seems like the third parties are the ones with all the power this year and next.  I will be happy to get my hands on Infamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Twisted Metal, and Portal 2 but that’s it.  And that is at least 4 games too few for my Sony tastes.

No comments: