Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Little Big Halo Planet?

N’Gai Croal has a great column. He talks about the similarities between Halo 3's Forge and Little Big Planet. There are certainly quite a few that Mr. Croal explains. He certainly makes an interesting case. But I think the problem here is that Little Big Planet has no hook. There won't be $170 million worth of fans out there to pick up Little Big Planet day one. There aren't even enough PS3s to fill that number.
Besides that, the Little Big Planet's context is more platformer than FPS and this just isn't cool with the people who bought Halo 3. So if Sony is relying on the same folks who are using Forge to use Little Big Planet; it is pretty unlikely. I think the PS3 owners will probably be making maps and new games on their PCs for Unreal Tournament 3. That is where the real community and sharing will be.
But who knows... I'm sure the Japanese will be making lots of levels. I hope the game is international so that we can play levels from other countries because I don't think the American FPS community will be doing it.
I hope Mr.Croal has no illusions about this and I certainly hope that Sony doesn't either.

No comments: