Sunday, January 15, 2012

Preview: EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis 2

A few years ago I was massively into Tennis.  Yes, I know I’m American and massively into Tennis; doesn’t happen.  I was playing Top Spin back then.  An incredible game and I probably spent 30+ hours playing it.  I wanted to be world champion in the worst way.  Another words, having beaten all the Grand Slams.  But other games came out, and I eventually veered away from Top Spin.  But every year since, I’ve at least tried the latest installment of Top Spin hoping that the game would match my memories of the original game.  Well, after Top Spin 2, I got pretty disillusioned.  I either didn’t have enough time or patience; perhaps the games were just too hard.  I don’t know…  Whatever the case, I went into EA Grand Slam Tennis 2(have no idea what happened with #1, perhaps it was Wii only and I missed it), thinking that I’d give it a shot for just a few minutes.

     The demo turned out to be stellar.  The graphics are fantastic for a game that moves this fast.  I loved the right stick control for serving and swinging.  As much as I liked, in general how the game looked.  I was blown away by the how responsive the game was; I was even able to dive for the occasional shot.  I never felt like I was just guessing or getting by.  I loved how wonderful the serving is, once you get it down; you can do some serious damage.

    The only serious flaws in the demo were the crazy animations that would occur here and there, making your avatar look like it was magnetically attracted to the ball.  Also, while the commentary is excellent.  It is too good, I was distracted more than one time to the point of missing the return because I was paying too much attention to what John Mcenroe was going to say next.  I’m sure it’s repeated a great deal in the full game and I’ll get used to it.  But that is seriously the first time a sports commentator in a game has actually distracted me from the game.  Good job John… 

   As much as I wasn’t even interested in Grand Slam Tennis 2; I’m now anxious for the game to be released.  Because it looks to be pretty freaking sweet for a Tennis game.  While the demo is extremely limited, it is good.  If you get the chance and you’re a Tennis fan check it out on XBOX Live.

No comments: