Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On the Backlog: PixelJunk Shooter 2 Review(PSN)

***Hey all your probably wondering what, “On the Backlog” is; it’s a new feature where I review a kind of old game that for whatever reason, escaped my purview.  There will not be any scores for these games.  Some will be older than others…***

         I really love PixelJunk; while I have a horrendous record for playing XBLA and PSN games;  but I really love them when I get around to it.  The game adds online battles to the franchise with this installment.  Along with this there are multiple liquid types and while playing I often thought about what this beast must have been eating while I floated through one level to the next.  The main goal of the game is collect all the scientists, gems, and other treasures on your way out of this beast you’ve been swallowed by.

    My only real complaint about this title and one that can be leveled at any PixelJunk games; man are these controls floaty.  You definitely get used to them after a while but right off, I was dying like I was playing MW3 online for the first time.  The inventiveness of the game is pretty apparent where you use your grabber in so many different ways.  As well as shields and all the other little upgrades you can get for your ship over time.  I really loved playing the game, even though I did get frustrated here and there.  Especially when you lose upgrades when you die. 

  This does make PixelJunk Shooter 2 is a kind of an old school arcadey shooter.  I can’t think of a better way to spend 5-8 hours of my time.  But this is definitely a little title with an extremely good reason to purchase.  I believe you can demo the game on PSN before you buy it.  Here’s hoping this franchise drops somewhere else in the future(other than iOS).

       I also missed PixelJunk Sidescroller, that review will be coming soon, hopefully…

No comments: