Friday, January 20, 2012

On the Backlog: Jamestown Review(PC)

***Hey all your probably wondering what, “On the Backlog” is; it’s a new feature where I review a kind of old game that for whatever reason, escaped my purview.  There will not be any scores for these games.  Some will be older than others…***

    Jamestown is basically a bullet hell shooter set in the time of the pilgrims.  That is, if the pilgrims had space ships and were trying to repel invaders from Mars.  The title is up on Steam and has support for both the keyboard and mouse as well as a controller.  I found playing with the controller the best way to go.  The controls are tight and the graphics are appropriately wonderful.  The game plays kind of like a easier version of Ikaruga.  At least on the difficulty levels I’ve played on so far.  That is one of the other great things about Jamestown it has a nice progression system of playing the same level on higher and higher difficulty.  This makes the game a lot more fun.

   There was never any slow down on my computer even when running at max graphics.  This is a wonderful little game that has multiple modes and the ability to “buy” ships, modes, etc… From the in-game store.  I played through for about 2-4 hours and I couldn’t get enough.  This is definitely a game that you will find yourself constantly going back.  Also, there is a low priced DLC pack available so if you want more fun you can add that.  I found the core game pretty challenging and locking out parts of the game until you meet the star/difficulty requirements for it is a wonderful incentive to progress.

  I bought this game over the holidays on a sale, but I think the normal price is around $20 or less; you can’t really go wrong.  There is just as much depth here as there is in any full priced bullet hell title.  I would recommend that anyone who likes bullet hell shooters pick this one up.  It’s a wonderful game that will keep you coming back.

No comments: