Thursday, November 12, 2009

Netflix and PS3 the Two great tastes that taste great together!

          I usually watch most media on my XBOX 360.  Why?  Because I like some of their services better than Sony's PSN.  Also, last year, I think it was; PS3 wouldn't play WMA files for some reason.  So I started playing them on my 360.  But these days things have gotten better for my PS3.  One of those MANY updates that Sony has put through over the last year; it seems like they fixed my little WMA problem.  I still prefer Microsoft's rental service as ALL of the videos are in HD.  Rather than just some of them. 

       Today my disc for streaming Netflix came today for my PS3.   I was pleasantly surprised that  the process was INCREDIBLY easy.  You just put the disc into your PS3 and put the entry code that comes up into your account on your PC.  Then you wait about a minute or so, and boom.  Your in your instant que.  I don't mind queuing up movies and television shows on my PC.  I have a pretty long que so it's no big deal.  The nice part is that you CAN remove stuff from your que from your PS3 and that is cool.  But the most important thing about the PS3 version versus the XBOX 360 version is that the picture is MUCH BETTER and completely consistent on the PS3 and there are no load time or lag time stops.  A full episode of Heroes was streaming live in HD and I was using my PC online at the time.  It never dropped the resolution and it never stopped the stream to catch up.  That is AWESOME!  And it sells me completely on using the PS3 for streaming from now on.  Putting the disc in is no big deal as you can't do anything on either system while you are steaming anyway.

     As great as the XBOX 360 is, the PS3 is definitely better as a media device.  I suppose for $300 you can get a pretty descent media device.  But it DOES play games too, so I guess it is a better value in the end than the XBOX 360.  But hey Sony, when you want to get your 3rd party support and online together I'll gladly make the final switch and use the PS3 for most of my gaming needs.  Until then...  I guess I'll stick with PS3 exclusives and Netflix.  So if you haven't done so all ready.  Sign up for the free Netflix disc and get it sent your way.  It only took me a couple days to get it and as I stated it was super easy to install.

      Finally, for all you folks wondering how the picture and service could POSSIBLY be better than on the PS3 than the XBOX 360?  Well, it might be the disc, it might be the PS3's use of the processors, how the Internet is handled on the PS3 versus the 360.  But I have no idea, I'm just glad it works as well as it does.  You should be too, if you have PS3 anyway.

No comments: