Monday, March 19, 2012

Shoot Me Some Frickin Robots BRO!(Shoot Many Robots Review)(XBLA)

       There was probably a point in everyone’s life who doesn’t have a smart phone(And we are out here, and we are getting stronger!) where you need that ten to thirty minutes of fun.  Shoot Many Robots is here to fill that need.  I picked this game up the other day with the intent only to play the demo(I’m a cheap jerk when it comes to XBLA/PSN games; sorry small developers).  But the more I played Shoot Many Robots, the more I grew to love it.

      The game is a 2.5D side scrolling shooter.  The game reminded me a lot of the new Rush’N Attack; which in itself is not a good thing at all.  But what they do with that space is pretty awesome.  The game allows you to play with up to four other folks; which would be great if ANYONE on friends list was actually playing this game(Thanks ME3).

      The controls for Shoot Many Robots really isn’t what you’d expect.  I won’t go into all the mechanics right now.  But the main oddity is that you cannot move and aim.  You can also melee and you can also knock large bullets back to their source in certain situations.  These are not a big deal and while you might but put off at first; in the end you will get used to the controls after you’ve messed with them for a few minutes.  At no point did I feel like the controls were holding me back or I was making mistakes due to them.

     The game basically consists of shooting lots of different robots; mostly in junkyards or destroyed cities and such.  It has some Borderlands style with a little whimsy tossed in.  Most of this consists of funny in game items.  Some even from Penny Arcade etc…  Which is awesome sauce for sure.  I’m also told there are some Destructoid items as well.  So craziness.  The only marring of this is the microtranactions that are build into the game.  You can buy nuts, which are the currency of the game.  Which is silly considering you can just play and get as many nuts as you want.  But I guess for all those people with more money than time(please send me your gamertags and I’ll play for you, you can pay me $10 an hour and I’ll play for as long as you want) can pay for more packages of nuts to buy new stuff.  Problem with this is, that unless you are the appropriate level you cannot use all these items you’ve unlocked.  So you actually DO have to play in order to get anything out of this.  Which you will get lots of nuts then anyway… So there is really NO REASON to buy these nuts.  Sorry…

     I’ve had a tremendous time with Shoot Many Robots and as I said before it’s a great game to play for around 15-30 minutes at a go while your waiting for something to happen.  You know, like laundry to finish or your dinner to be finished cooking etc… If you want to give Shoot Many Robots a shot.  I have to warn you the first gun in the trial is not all that great and you will probably be beating up more robots than shooting for a little while.  But when you actually get near the demo’s end you WILL be shooting robots; so don’t worry.  This game isn’t going to set the world on fire; there is some serious repetition in this game and you basically just SHOOT MANY ROBOTS, but surprise right?  But it is a great way to have some fun and there are actually some REALLY challenging elements in the game if you want to five star a level.  I loved Shoot Many Robots as a fun distraction. 8/10

No comments: