Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Previews: Twisted Metal Multiplayer Demo(PS3)

     I used to play Twisted Metal on the Playstation.  Back in those days kids probably were able to get about 2 games a year, maybe 3 or 4 the most.  For the entire life of the first Playstation I think I had around 7 games.  For the PS2 maybe 25(I was older by then).  This is all just to say that in order for me to play and purchase the Twisted Metal series, it had to be pretty important.  It was…  While this game does offer the classic control scheme, it’s been far too long for me to think it worth using.  I used what is called the racing control scheme.  As I won one of my matches, I’m assuming I chose correctly.

    The multiplayer demo allows you to choose any of the base vehicles from the primary game and play in either Deathmatch or Nuke.  Deathmatch, is basic and your kill count is your way to winning.  Nuke is a team based game where one group tries to arm their nuke by capturing the team leader of the opposite side.  You can also play offline, in a training or challenge mode.  Both of these offline modes are basically just there to make sure you are familiar with the controls before you jump online.  If I’d have to guess I’d say this was a tweaked version of the E3 or PAX demo.  I was able to get into a game, but not without a SERIOUS wait, not sure why this was; but I hope it gets fixed in the final build. 

    The controls are tight and the vast assortment of crazy weapons make sure to switch things up constantly.  I really liked how each vehicle handled differently and while each vehicle has access to a wide array of general weapons each vehicle's most devastating weapon is their signature weapon.  Everything from a homing exploding gurney to a dude popping out of the roof of your vehicle with a minigun to spray your opponents.

    While there is definitely an air of repetition in the gameplay.  I DO have to admit that last night, the first night the demo was out, where you earn no XP or player points; I played for 4 hours.  By the end, I was wondering whether or not I wanted to play more today.  So to say that the gameplay is repetitious but addictive is an understatement.  I will be really excited to play the final game when it comes out on Valentine’s Day this year; Awww….

No comments: