Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I Need Some Cover here!(Mass Effect 3 Demo)

       Bioware has been pretty quiet overall about what the Multiplayer in their new game; Mass Effect 3 will look like.  They have also been a tad unclear, about what this multiplayer will ACTUALLY consist of.  So with the new Mass Effect 3 demo; you can play out all the E3 demos that they have had for Mass Effect 3 over the past couple years and the multiplayer.

     The multiplayer, is a team/class wave based 3rd person shooter(Horde mode with different classes).  The player can unlock weapons, powers, mods for weapons, different appearances, and even new characters.  One of the ways to level up is by earning experience points to level up.  Which is exactly the same as in the single player game.  The other way is to earn credits where you can buy different packs from the in-game store.  The packs consist of random items, which makes them a pretty risky deal.  Perhaps if the packs were cheaper or there was more of a variety of different packs at different prices.  I would feel better about them as a whole.  But as it stands right now; it’s the way they are doing it.  It is unclear as how this system will function and what your choices will be in the final version.  I will say that this system is pretty unique for a regular AAA product; it reminds me a lot of Free 2 Play models except that instead of real money it’s in-game money(for now at any rate).

    The single player game mechanics are exactly the same in the multiplayer.  With the exception that the choices are very reduced.  The game typically only allows you to have access to two weapons and two powers.  Which is certainly much reduced from the single player’s wide variety of options.  The mechanics work fine in a multiplayer setting which surprised me.  I was only a little disappointed that with all the very tactile feeling movements and actions; the charge melee move has absolutely no feel at all.  It’s SO out of place in fact that the first few times I did it; I thought I’d whiffed the move.  Otherwise, the aiming is snappy and I was even able to score some headshots with assault rifles and submachine guns. 

    For as much as everyone was so concerned about this aspect of Mass Effect 3 and even by extension all of Mass Effect 3; I have to say it’s pretty nice.  I began thinking I had a couple of hours to play and I ended up playing for 4 hours.  I will be VERY interested to get my hands on the final game.  I’m incredibly glad I didn’t give in to the general apprehension and cancel my pre-order.  Bioware may have made some questionable decisions with their games in the past year or so; but this game seems just as good as it was back in Mass Effect 2.  If anything brings down ME3, it won’t be multiplayer.  There is still a whole story to explore, I can only hope it’s as good as ever.  So far, so good.

No comments: