Sunday, October 4, 2009

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Review(XBOX 360)

   Sometimes you choose the game and sometimes the game chooses you.  In this case, the game chose me.  I was just going to start Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, just to see how it was.  That was 2 days ago and I've finished the game.  Insane I know...  What's crazier is that I all ready restarted the game on the higher difficulty level to see what its like and I still like it.  Now, that's crazy!

   The cinematics in the game are incredibly well done.  I only wish there was some magical way they could have the heroes in your group all ways appear in the cinematics.  Rather than the normal cast of characters that appeared in them no matter what team members you had chosen.  This is a very minor thing of course and in general they did handle all the situations pretty well.

   I did appreciate the smaller number heroes; making each one of them more unique as a power set.  However, some still seemed a little less than stellar and some of the heroes that appeared as NPCs might have been more fun to play.  I would have liked to play Havok for instance, as the fusion with Wolverine probably would have been cool.  More playable X-Men would have been nice as well.  The general lack of a large variety of playable characters may mean that there will be more to download in the future but for right now it just makes for fewer unlockables now.  Which tends to make people less likely to play through the game multiple times.

    The entire game is pretty much exactly the same as Marvel Ultimate Alliance, except that the fusions which allow two team members to combine their powers; tend to add more enemies to the game.  Even on the harder difficulty setting it isn't anything the average player couldn't handle.  But it sometimes make you think about different tactical ways you can approach a situation.  The puzzles in the game are pretty worthless but this again, like the story seemed to be secondary.  The main focus of MUA2 is pretty much to do the most damage you can to the most stuff you can.  Which is lots of fun and even with the few technical glitches here and there it makes it worth a play through.  I would have to suggest you find at least one more person to play the game through with.  The hero A.I. can be pretty horrible sometimes.  I found myself battling a boss in some instances and all the other A.I. controlled heroes would just stand there.  Or move off the corner of the screen and just stand there.  It was more than a little annoying, but after a while the game seemed to catch up and the heroes would go back to fighting again.

      The story in the game which is somewhat secondary to the gameplay is from what I've been told a rip-off version of Marvel Comics Civil War story line.  But I'm also told, not in a good way.  I felt the story was fine and the voice acting for the most part was very good.  So whatever problems the story has its probably due to its similarity to the comic book story; which they should probably stay clear of in the future as it probably does more to detract from the game rather than enhancing it.

  

       In the end, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is a wonderful game that does what it seems to want to do.  Be the best dungeon crawler style beat'em up with super heroes in it that it can be.  I would have liked to see more of the fan service touches like multiple costumes, more characters, and more hidden bonuses similar to the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance.  But considering my inital reaction, I have to admit that the game is at the very least worth a rent.  Especially if you are even slightly interested in some super hero fighting action.

No comments: