Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mark Rein upset about SO MANY PEOPLE Playing FPS on Consoles!

    Mark Rein was recently interviewed by Guardian Unlimited.  The interview was basically an update about the progress of Unreal Tournament 3 across PC and consoles.  There was also a discussion of the new version coming to XBOX 360 and the fact they are still having problems getting user content on there.

     The big thing Mark said, or implied actually was that consoles games are getting really hardcore and this is taking away emphasis from the PC.  The problem with this philosophy is that most PC games now need a PC that costs around $1,000 to play.  I know, I need an upgrade myself.

   I don't mean play as in, get the game running and be able to tell what's going on.  I mean to run smoothly with descent settings.  So don't start telling me about running Crysis on $600 machines.

      I have a PS3, XBOX 360, and a Wii.  I suppose if I didn't buy ANY of those consoles and then waited until now to buy a PC.  I would have had plenty of money to upgrade.  But I didn't and I certainly never thought PC games would just this far this fast.

     I love Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 and while it's playable on my PC.  It certainly isn't as cool as the PS3 version.  So I know Mark and a bunch of other PC developers are bummed out by bad PC games sales.  It's definitely a temporary matter and is more linked to hardware than anything else.

     I predict by the time Spore and World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King come out there will be plenty of high spec cheap PCs.  But right now, the drought will continue.

No comments: