Thursday, August 28, 2014

Infamous First Light Review



                                                                                                                                  Infamous First Light
Sucker Punch
Sony Entertainment
August 26 2014
PS4
4/5 Stars
       

        Once I finished Infamous Last Light, I think I understood why everyone was so down on it.  The game is far from perfect but it is also a $15 game that takes around 6 hours to complete.  Which is far more than most $60 campaign focused games these days.  I didn’t mess around very much in the world.  I will probably do so now.  Once the player finishes the game they get access to a free roam of the world and they also unlock unlimited access to the game’s arena mode.  The arena mode, is kind of like it sounds; challenge based, combat focused tasks against A.I.  Nothing innovative there, but I don’t think that’s what Infamous First Light is about.
       Story wise the game is nothing to write home about.  If you played Infamous Second Son you know it already, sans the details, of course.  But none of the game will probably surprise you very much.  Having played Second Son recently, not to completion; I felt prepared enough for this game and I was prepared.  Most of the game is pretty easy, there are some minor challenges that seem a little unfair but you can continue in the middle of the challenge in most cases(except for one that I know of), and you can pretty much brute force your way through if you have to.  Which was fine, I didn’t come to this game looking for a really big challenge.  If you want that you can play the endless arena mode til you turn blue in the face and try to be the person topping the leaderboards.  Personally, I didn’t even look at the leaderboards; because as Fetch you don’t have all your powers.  Usually in arena modes this is a major factor.  So I might mess with them later on, once I unlock everything.
       One of the big things that comes over from Infamous Second Son are the stellar graphics!  I loved playing this game and while the cutscenes were pretty mind blowing; the regular game isn’t any slouch either.  The music and sound design were also first class.  I never felt the need to turn off the background music and it never annoyed me hearing some of the voice samples for a the third time.  All of it stayed in the background, not annoying; just adding flavor and color to the game.
      For a $60 product Infamous First Light is a little simple.  For a $15 one, it is AMAZING!  Truth be told it is probably a $15 demo for Infamous Second Son.  But heck, for me it was time well spent and I will certainly be playing a little more.  While this game certainly COULD have been better.  I think considering the price, it is an excellent game and I truly enjoyed playing it and FINISHING it!

No comments: