Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hades Times Games of the Year 2012 Edition!

         In just a couple of weeks we will be seeing the end to this year.  I can’t believe it.  I can’t remember a year in gaming where everything seemed so strange for so long and certainly can’t remember a year in gaming that I played SO MANY games on my PC.  Except maybe 1998(year I discovered Civilization, but that doesn’t count).   I am also happy to report that this was also an exceptionally good year for Indie Games.  So that is pretty freakin cool.  So without further explanation or delay; here are my 10 games that you cannot miss playing from 2012.  In no particular order…

1. Journey

                   Journey was the first game this year.  Nah, first game EVER to make me feel anything other than frustration or elation.  The game is complicated for being so simple.  The game deals with everything from social interaction to religion.  This is one of, if not the best designed and executed game ever made.  So go play it, if you haven’t all ready.  It’s amazing.

 

2. Borderlands 2

      There was no shooter this year that I spent more time in or had more fun with.  While I have to admit I STILL haven’t finished the game.  I have to admit that I’ve also put in more than 50 hours into not finishing it.  So I love this game.  And if your not playing it on PC, you are SERIOUSLY missing something.

3. Diablo 3

    That’s right, did I stutter.  Diablo 3 is a fantastic game that has fantastic design and I’ve spent over 80 hours playing it.  I love the game and while I will never probably reach Inferno Difficulty.  I will say that if you haven’t played Diablo 3 then you are REALLY missing something special.  The game is one of the best that I’ve played in years.  The things that are wrong with it are small compared to the things that are absolutely incredible about it.

 

4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

    My favorite strategy game of the year.  This game is incredibly hard and incredibly fun.  This is one turned based game that you should not miss.  There is something so satisfying getting that killshot on an alien with your favorite sniper from halfway across the screen using squad vision.

 

5. Tekken Tag Tournament 2

   The best fighting game of the entire year and possibly the entire generation is Tekken Tag Tournament 2.  Never have a I seen such a complete and awesome fighter.  The depth in this game is virtually infinite.  Without exception or qualification I have to say that this is my favorite fighting game of the year and ever.

 

6.  Mass Effect 3

   To think when this game came out way back at the beginning of year; most people thought it was the harbinger of things to come for this year.  Just another awesome game.  Never did we think that this game, considering all it’s choices, DLC, and story that it might actually be the best game of the year.  Not sure if I would say that.  But the Mass Effect series and this game especially are essential for anyone who says that they play video games.  It’s incredible and is possibly a harbinger of things to come.  Not just for this console generation but rather for generations to come.

 

7. Guild Wars 2

   All I have to say about Guild Wars 2 is that it is the greatest MMORPG of all time.  Unless bandwidth, hardware, and a slew of other things improve drastically Guild Wars 2 is the pinnacle of what can be done in a fantasy MMO.  This game makes World of Warcraft look like it was made 7-10 years ago.  It is incredible.

 

8.  Forza Horizon

  As I said in a my recent review Forza Horizon is RACING GAME OF THE YEAR.  Nothing even compared to it this year.  Handling, campaign, multiplayer.  It’s the full package.  I just wish the package was a little bigger out of the box.

 

9.  Dishonored(PC)

   Revenge solves everything.  Dishonored on the PC is an absolutely incredible game.  There is no slow down, the world is beautiful, and every action is snappy and accurate all most every time.  Even if I’m a terrible stealth assassin, Dishonored makes you want to be a better one.

 

10. Halo 4

  It’s hard not to recommend Halo 4.  The cinematics are incredible, the multiplayer probably the best in the franchise, and you get Spartan Ops for free.  So what more could you want.  I don’t know, but I’m sure we will think of something before the next XBOX comes out.

 

         Just wanted to say that it was incredibly difficult to narrow this list to 10.  There are around 20-30 games that should not be missed this year.  In the coming weeks and months I’ll hopefully be reviewing some of these games.  But for right now, this is the best of the best.  The crème of the crop…. Insert analogy here… Have a good Christmas and look forward to a new year with even more awesome games.  Cause the first 3-5 months are going to be a real beast this year.  Keep your engines hot, there is no rest for the wicked.

No comments: