Monday, September 19, 2011

Tokyo Game Show: Why are we interested in this again?

Tokyo Game Show 2011 just wrapped. I wasn't in Tokyo, not that I wouldn't have liked to be. But seeing all the coverage that came out of Tokyo, I have to say that I'm more underwhelmed than ever.       Every year since 2007 it seems like the show has gotten more and more derivative. Perhaps, the close proximity in time to PAX or Gamescom might be the reason. With the exception of Capcom and Namco. This year's show seemed lackluster to say the least.

       Sony was completely consumed by Playstation Vita and as predicted Nintendo was showing off 3DS games that probably should have been there for launch. It is hard to get excited about new 3DS games when the games that have come out have been so horribly done.  Even ports, seem like major issues for these developers.  So how much faith do I have in new games? None to very little...

      In a year that seems to be self explanatory that the handheld platform is an aging dinosaur both companies are holding on to their investments for dear life. There hasn't been a single 3DS release this year that has been worth the price of admission for the system or the game. Playstation Vita while looking pretty also is saddled with memory card, battery life, and hardware quality issues. Sounds like the PSP all over again.

       I certainly loved all the features about Dark Souls, Persona's fighting game, Street Fighter x Tekken, Soul Calibur V, and of course the Ultimate Marvel versus Capcom 3 stuff.

      So that was my impression of Tokyo Game Show. What did I miss? Let me know in the comments section or on Facebook…

No comments: