Monday, September 5, 2011

Deus Ex Human Revolution “This is not a Review”

     While I never played the original Deus Ex games.  I do know a fair amount about them and certainly have watched others play portions of them.  I wasn’t very impressed; I found them a little more than a little out of date.  When people start playing around with floppy disks in the future, my suspension of disbelief begins to melt away.  But those games aside, none of that suspension needs to be worried too much about in the latest game Deus Ex Human Revolution which is supposed to be the prequel to the series.  How, I’m not quite sure; but hey, I’m not an authority on the universe.

    The game is kind of a hybrid; it’s a shooter, RPG, and a stealth action game.  The main theme of the game, is having CHOICE.  Well, that’s great; but most of the time, even playing on the lowest difficulty, your main choice is to whether or not you’d like to proceed with the game.  Making an improper choice, usually putting your PRAXIS points in the wrong place, can impede your game progress.  I’ve talked to friends who are also playing the game, and people who play the game as basically a hacking/stealth game.  Usually find the game enjoyable and fun.  But that doesn’t seem like much of a choice to me.

    Of course, all of these people had the problem that the boss battles; were very difficult for the people who didn’t add at least one offensive augment to their arsenal.  Which, goes against the whole rest of what the game had been telling them.

      I found numerous bugs in the game.  For instance, during a sequence at the beginning of the game.  You are supposed to be able to disable a turret, that there is no way to disable.  Even with the code to the security network, you are unable to do so.  Also, in the first boss battle in the game; I shot him with two rockets and he simply shrugged it off like I shot him with the handgun.  I guess there was a particular way I HAD to kill that boss; not much choice there either.  Along with that, I had many instances of enemies detecting my presence without seeing me.  Once I was around the corner from some enemies and they all of a sudden went on high alert and ran around the corner to start shooting me.  Finally, for all the games bluster about talking your way out of situations.  Not one policeman ever questioned me before just starting to shoot me.

      None of my comments above, really take away too much from the playability of the game.  As long as you know that in Deus Ex Human Revolution you MUST: focus on hacking, stealth, and finally take one offensive augment like the Typhoon weapon system.  Otherwise, you will have a very hard time, even on the lowest difficulty setting.  Also, unlike all most every shooter in the world, you can take around 7 bullets before you are dead. 15 bullets with full armor.  So, if for some reason you don’t take my advice about the stealth; your going to need to play the game as a third person shooter and stick to cover.  Which is also fine, but it wasn’t my choice.  Maybe it’s yours…

No comments: