Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Aion Servers Crammed! NCSOFT isn't ignoring it. Really...

"There are numbers and stats that help us predict servers. We know what our average percentage of users is per active accounts at a peak time based off our beta events and our other products. We know how many users our servers can handle at capacity, and we know how many users makes for an ideal game play experience in Aion. Most importantly we know that there will never be a time when every single Aion customer wants to log in and play all at once than when we first turn on the servers. All of these go into picking the correct server count and the right time to spin up new servers.

We had to keep max server capacity low at first because everyone was crammed at the starting area. Had we opened it up to everyone, no one could have progressed. As the day went on, we opened up the servers more and more. We want to ensure that our servers are healthy during Head Start, but also once a retail code is applied. These next few days we will be calculating data and weighing the ideal time to open more servers. I think that the community will understand that in a game with PvPvE how important a healthy populated server is and that we do not want to go down the low pop server path..."Brian Knox..

          Well, I can certainly understand Ncsoft's hesitation to go crazy adding servers when the current servers aren't balanced.  PVP balancing seems to be VERY important to them which is impressive.  Considering neither Warhammer or World of Warcraft have even attempted to do this.

           I certainly hate the que times which seem to range anywhere form 2-7 hours.  Today they were worse for me; in fact I'm waiting in line while writing this.  But these are the first few days of this game and there is SO MUCH work to be done that takes place in the first month of an MMORPG.  This is REALLY only the beginning.

           I will say that I love Aion and I've been playing since the beta.  I was kind of down on it to begin with.  But I guess their tweaking during the beta period has improved the game a great deal.  First and foremost, leveling has become ALOT easier and faster. 

           At least the waiting has been more or less worth it.  I only wish I could play for a few more hours than I can now.  Like the hours I'm waiting in line.  But like I said this is only the beginning people.  So stop complaining, your loud annoying childish voices have been heard.  No offense to all the sane people out there.

No comments: