Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Adam Sessler and What He has to Say!

    In the past, I believe I have said mainly positive things about X-Play.  I certainly have respect for both Morgan and Adam who have obviously toughed it out on a network and in a company that has not all ways been kind to them.  In fact, at this point most folks would have gone out on their own and done their own thing.  But hey, it's not like that might not happen eventually.  But this post isn't about any of that...

    Actually this post is about Sessler's Soapbox.  An occasional video podcast that up until this evening I had been wholly ignoring.  Perhaps many of you out there have been doing similarly.  But I decided today, considering I was off and didn't have a lot of other things to do.  Or at least that I felt like doing, (that Prince of Persia review is going to write itself, I just know it is.).  That I would watch a whole bunch of them.  Well, in fact I watched all of them.  Yes, I started in 2007 and didn't finish until I hit the last one in 2/25/09.  That was ALOT(according to itunes there are 76 episodes) of Sessler Soapbox, indeed.   But it taught me a few things and maybe, if Adam is reading this; which I don't know if he is(probably not).  Could benefit from my marathon of Soapbox.  So here we go...

    The best Soapbox's are about a specific topic.  Don't wander there Adam, it's probably not a good plan.  The worst Soapbox's revolve around an event.  Because 9/10 times NO ONE will care about this episode once the event has gone by.  Like the E3 or Tokyo Game Show episodes.  Just have NO replay value later on.  Sorry...

      Adam does tend to speak frankly and sometimes without considered thought.  Which is fun to watch and listen to; but usually leaves one saying,

   "Hey man, it's not a big deal. Calm down."

    Which is cool sometimes, but not all the time.  Even if the kiddies like it.

    Also, Adam does SOMETIMES seem like he is JUST talking to other journalists or other folks in the industry.  Which is cool.  But a lot of people that AREN'T in the industry might say something like,

        "Huh, that seems dumb."  or "So what?"

    Which could be said of any insider conversation in just about any industry except perhaps national security.

  So what am I saying here?  Well, I'm saying that no matter what you think of X-Play or G4, WATCH SESSLER'S SOAPBOX!

    Why?  Because Adam is an intelligent man who has been around for 10 years in the video game industry and his comments are usually worth a listen.  Even if you disagree with him or think that maybe he doesn't think enough before he speaks. Which I think is probably true for all of us at one time or another in our lives.  He occasionally brings things up that are hot topics in the industry and sometimes even seems to be on the pulse of discussion in the industry or in game journalism.  So that is pretty freaking cool, no matter who you are.  Besides these episodes are a maximum of 7 minutes.  If you don't have seven minutes to devote to some video game culture then you REALLY aren't a gamer.

      Also and this is to a MUCH lesser degree.  But during the time I've been watching X-PLAY I've all ways found both Morgan and Adam to be very enigmatic in the sense that it is sometimes hard to tell if they are really acting the way they do in real life or is this all just for television.  Are they really this funny, cool, and edgy in real life?  Well, probably not.  But then that's showbiz.  But in the episodes of Soapbox, Adam does, for the most part; show the real Adam.  At least the most real we are going to see when a camera is on him.  But there are hints in every Soapbox of the person that plays the part of Host and game journalist.  It's cool to see and maybe you don't care.  But considering I've spent SO MANY years watching these folks it's nice to get to know them. even if it's just a little.

  So this post might be a random pile to people who are following this blog for videos or the latest news on the Warhammer Online patch.  But for those of you who are TRULY HARDCORE GAMERS; I know that is a horrid title of late.  Go over and give Sessler a try.  He really does bring up some good points and if nothing else you find that you TOO have new found respect for him.

  In closing, I have to mention one thing.  The revamped X-PLAY IS THE BEST SHOW ABOUT VIDEO GAMES on television and the mere idea of destroying that for WHATEVER reason the corporate folks have is absolutely heretical on the same level as destroying a fine work of art just as it's completed.  If I had worked SO HARD to create something SO GOOD; I tend to believe I would quit before allowing it to be destroyed with my help.  But then, that's why I'm out here on my own instead of working as an intern for IGN.  I don't like being told what to write and when to write and how.  So that's just me.  Sorry Joe Q Public, but I found a long time ago that life wasn't fair and that I wasn't ready to bend over for it, if I didn't absolutely have to.

  But then, that's just me....

-Timothy Pecoraro (Devilsalias)

 

No comments: