Sunday, February 1, 2009

Afro Samurai the Game Review. Makes you wish you were watching the movies!

I'm a BIG Afro Samurai fan! I loved the movies, I've read the manga, and now alas I've played the game. The look and feel of the game is spot on. Wonderful animations, incredible visuals, and some killer music when it isn't completely silent(which turns out to be too often).

But it's not the art design or the music that is the problem in Afro Samurai and even the combat in the game is top notch. The problem is one that seems like, with all these other things handled so beautifully a little insane. Level design....

What do I mean? Well, there are invisible walls. Lame platforming. And an endless stream of enemies that seem kind of on the superfluous side. In general, the bosses are well designed. I certainly enjoyed playing until the combination of unclear objectives and even worse the incredibly horrible platforming stopped me. This game had everything that I would show would be designers when learning how NOT to make a game. Like the fact that on one level it actually wraps around so that if you fall in the right place you are right back where you started again.

Every level was made longer by a combination of horrible platforming and too many enemies. Aside from bosses, there were only around 5 types of enemies in the whole game and everyone of them you see countless times. They aren't fun or interesting, in most cases they are just stupid.

It was as if two totally different developers worked on this game. One that designed the music, art, and combat and another that designed everything else. I would love to say that if your a big fan of Afro Samurai that you should at least rent this game. But given the horrible problems in the game, I can't even say that. Don't buy or rent Afro Samurai. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and nothing to do, I would stay away from this game. But unless your stranded on a desert island or in prison I can't imagine you having that much time.

Update:

Sorry for this but a friend saw the review and decided that I wasn't clear enough about my feelings about this game. So here it is....

I loved the combat, graphics, and sound on this epically BROKEN GAME!

If you REALLY like frustration from around 8 years ago, buy the game!

If you have a life and other good games to play, DON'T!

Simple....

-Devilsalias

No comments: