Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Grim Fandango Remastered Review(PS4)

Grim Fandango Remastered

PS4, PSVita, PC

Double Fine Entertainment

LucasArts(Disney)

4/5 Stars

 

       Grim Fandango originally came out in 1998.  The game truly set the world of adventure games on fire.  The game was definitely instrumental in putting all those wonderful Tim Schafer games on the map.  But since then it’s been pretty difficult for the average gamer to get a hold of a descent copy that would run on a modern machine.  Double Fine Entertainment to the rescue with a new remastered version that is available not only for modern PCs but also for the PS4 and PSVita.  This new game has updated graphics and some developer commentary as well.  I can’t say I was ever a big adventure gamer.  I also can’t say that I’d played much of Grim Fandango back then either.  But I’ve seen the game played through a time or two and I when I ventured into this version many of the old puzzles and scenes came to mind.

      As ground breaking as this game was back in 1998, the game is pretty difficult for the modern gamer to get their head around.  The game doesn’t give the gamer the typical bread crumb trail that many modern adventure games use and the lack of being able to see what items are interactable is also a bit of a problem sometimes.  But since the game has been out for so long, the game does have tons of walkthroughs and such.  Not being a fan of the gameplay in Grim Fandango isn’t much of an issue for me however.  The game has some incredible dialogue and some of the best music I’ve heard in a game.

     So while, I wasn’t a big fan of the gameplay itself; it’s still a pretty incredible game and at the price of what would normally be an indie game.  I can’t say that you would be wasting your money getting it.  Whether you are playing for the first time or are reliving memories of your childhood.

No comments: