Saturday, December 10, 2011

Command and Conquer Generals 2 from Bioware?

      Update via Jostiq: “  Update: We've got the official PR from Electronic Arts, found at the Source link below. Most notable is this line: "Command & Conquer Generals 2 is being developed by a new BioWare studio, BioWare Victory, and is coming exclusively to the PC in 2013." So Victory Games is now BioWare Victory and its plans for a PC-exclusive C&C game are still in place. Wow!” If you don’t believe, here is the link.

Not exactly sure what to make of all this.  I don’t doubt Bioware can probably make an RTS and since the Command and Conquer brand hasn’t been doing very well for the past couple years this might be the right kind of shot in the arm it needs.  However, I’m a little afraid of what I’m seeing here.  EA’s brand coupled with Frostbite 2?  I didn’t think EA partners worked like that.  I guess I was wrong, I thought it was a more separate but equal proposition not a you play in my yard, I’ll play in yours.  Does this mean that some other studio in the future could make the next Balder’s Gate or the next KOTOR or the next Jade Empire?  Or even the next Mass Effect?  I don’t know…

   Finally, 2013?  What does THIS mean?  Is this going to be a PC only release?  Then it makes sense.  But if your all ready using Frostbite 2, what’s easier than porting that to consoles?  And in 2013 what consoles would those be?  Hopefully all will be revealed in press releases on Monday or next week when all the other outlets get to see what’s happening under the curtain.  But I’m guessing some of this will still be top secret until E3.  Geez, June seems like a REALLY LONG TIME from now.

No comments: