Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Another Crash!(My 1 Minute Review) (Motorstorm Apocalypse Review)

      I’ve played ever Motorstorm since the series began, to greater and lesser degrees.  I finished the first, was put off by the second, and by the time Apocalypse came out I thought the online would save the series.  I was deathly wrong.  In Motorstorm the player crashes quite frequently.  Even with some knowledge of the map, there still can be instances where you make a wrong turn and end up in the wall.  While in the single player, this is relatively a minor thing, and while you might lose a few places; the general ineptitude of the A.I. covers any problem you might have.  However, online, where this game should shine.  Is where the problem REALLY surfaces.  I’ve gone from running 3rd to running 8th from just one crash. Even with a descent lead, it seems that the respawn takes SO LONG, that it just doesn’t give you a proper chance.  Considering all the stuff the developer decided to have sticking out of surfaces.  It’s really hard to predict on a regular basis as to what is and what is not an obstacle that your vehicle will wreck on.  Sometimes your car bounces off, sometimes it crashes.  My favorite crashes are when the Semi crashes on a single lamp post or burning car.  This makes you wonder what your real advantage is by playing a big vehicle and why many people drive bikes or ATVs.

     While I normally don’t mind a little challenge, especially in multiplayer.  Running last in every race, just because I can’t keep from crashing or falling into bad situations.  Really stopped being fun for me after the first 2 or 3 hours.  The game just ceased to be fun for me.  This is when I knew my patience with Motorstorm had worn through.  I wish the actual racing elements had been improved from the last games to this one.  It just seems like yet another Motorstorm and this one in a city rather than somewhere else.  The destruction in the cities was fine, but it was even less interesting than those of Split Second.  I think the Motorstorm team needs to make their game a good racing game first and worry about everything else second.  Because the festival is truly over folks.  I really wanted to give this game every chance, but it just got too frustrating and annoying too fast.  6/10.

No comments: