Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oh man, is it 2011 all ready? (End of the year stuff)

        Oh man! How time flies.  It seems like just yesterday that I was sitting around looking at the full tote of 2010 out before me.  Now, I’m in the same position with 2011.  Oh well, this has been an excellent year and while personally I’m probably not in the position I want to be in.  I certainly can’t say the same for this year’s crop of games.  Wow, this was quite a year!

          I played a ton of games this year, but I’ve compiled a little list of games YOU should have played or play from this last year.  These are in no particular order and while you might look at this as my Games of the Year.  They are more of a can’t miss list than a Awards-type list.

        Bayonetta

        Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

        Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood

        NBA Jam

        Civilization 5

        Starcraft 2

        Red Dead Redemption

        Battlefield Bad Company 2

        Mass Effect 2

        Pac-Man Championship DX

        Super Meat Boy

        Halo Reach

        Bioshock 2

        Rock Band 3

       Super Street Fighter IV

       Costume Quest

       God of War 3

   So that’s my list.  I can’t say that I had too much trouble compiling this list and if your wondering where Call of Duty Black Ops is; I can tell you that the single player was great but I think in some ways they wrecked the multiplayer by allowing the player to buy their own loadouts.  Doing this I think has destroyed any need for the player to play over and over.  Just get to around level 20 and then you have everything you want and your done.  The old MW2 format really drew me in and made me want to keep playing all the time.  I just couldn’t do that in Black Ops; couple that with some really terrible map design in a couple of instances and you burn out on the game quickly. If you like the game wonderful.  But it’s no Battlefield Bad Company 2.  Which had a lackluster single player but an excellent multiplayer that still gets me interested.  Especially now that the Vietnam mod is out.

  Certainly 2011 will have the most varied and interesting games that have come out in one year in the past.  We are talking everything from top tier fighting games(Marvel versus Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat) to top end FPS and third person shooters(Bulletstorm and Gears of War 3), and of course the epicness that will be Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3.  It’s difficult to believe that all of this madness will occur this year.  But even if some games bleed into 2012 we are still looking at an amazing year in gaming.  I can’t wait to get my hands on a retail version of the Nintendo 3DS with a shiny new copy of Street Fighter IV in 3D!  That will be epic! 

   But right now, go out and buy all those games on that list.  Some are bargain bin huggers by now and some are still full price but ALL are WELL worth the price of admission.  I had to buy all these games originally so, don’t worry about this advice coming from some guy who gets all his games for free.  All these games are good time sinks and will give you a lot of bang for your buck.  Right now Red Dead Redemption and Halo Reach are certainly the front runners.  But pick up Super Meat Boy for $10-$15 and let me know what a value it is once you’ve played it every day for a week. So sometimes, it isn’t the price of package it’s the value inside it.

    Happy New Year Folks and as all ways HAPPY GAMING!

 

No comments: