Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Plain Truth: I Love SOME of you more than others.(Best Games of the Year)

        There is NO denying the fact that this year was one of the best years in that video games have had seen since around 2007.  But, it has probably been the best OVERALL year for games EVER.  At no other time have SO MANY great games come out in the space of one year that it might have actually changed the way we view the quality of games as a whole.  There is also no denying the fact that I HATE lists of the best or greatest this or that, but I will do it for you now.  But in a most unconventional way.  These are NOT the greatest games of all time or the best games of the year.  These are the games I spent the most time with and had the most lasting appeal for me; even after they had been out for a while.  All of these games have been out for MORE than a month; there is just no way to evaluate a game better than that.  As I don't get games early it's also impossible for me to get a good sense of a game in less time than that.  Unless it is horrible, then I get that sense in about 20 minutes.  The numbers associated with the games are more representative of how long I spent with the games rather than how much I like them.

         There are no categories here and you might not agree with everything I write.  But hey, that is SUPPOSED to be the point of these lists, right?

      10. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom XBOX 360/PS3/PC):  While most gamers have probably even forgotten that Resident Evil 5 came out this year.  I have to say that I spent quite a long time playing both the single and multiplayer modes of this game.  As annoying as some of the control issues were initially over time it grew on me.  Even with the problems that popped up involving the story and setting; I think that with the upcoming DLC coming next year this is definitely the time to start thinking about picking this game up again.

       9. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves (Naughty Dog PS3): While I didn't play very much Among Thieves compared to the other games on this list; I have to admit that it was probably one of the most impacting games I've played this year.  I played through single player campaign 100% and managed to play quite a few hours of the multiplayer before sending back my rental copy.  Before all you GOTY folks out there start critiquing me; are all of you guys STILL playing the game.  The game did come out in October after all; the multiplayer while good isn't exactly complex.  The single player in Uncharted 2 is truly a landmark for the industry and it will surely become a classic.  Anyone who wants to call themselves a gamer will NEED to play Uncharted 2.  Otherwise, your just another person waiting to play it. 

     8. Street Fighter IV (Capcom XBOX 360/PS3/PC): The penultimate fighting game experience of the first part of the 21st century; this game certainly belongs on my list.  This game made everyone buy a new fight stick or at the very least want to buy a new one.  There is more complexity in this one title than in all of the Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur series combined.  With a killer art style and being the first game that I installed to my hard drive there is little doubt this is one for the ages.  Now when Super Street Fighter IV comes out we will see if they can ACTUALLY top themselves.

       8.  Tekken 6 (Namco XBOX 360/PS3):  Perhaps saying that I spent more time with Tekken 6 than Street Fighter IV will cause some folks to flip their biscuits but it is true.  The reason?  Well, Tekken 6 isn't a better fighting game; but it IS a more accessible one.  Also, it has the benefit of having SO MANY costume pieces that you can turn your angelic Lili into a little devil.  Once the online back end was patched, the online play performs as if your opponent was in the same room.  The scenario campaign mode was garbage but the rest of the game has tons of modes and good stuff.  Although there probably isn't much coming down the line for DLC, at least we have one of the biggest rosters in Tekken history to enjoy while we wait for Tekken 7.

       7. Plants Versus Zombies!(Popcap PC):  The game that cost me $9.99. That I have played this game for SO MANY HOURS is criminal.  The tower defense inspired title is about as good as a game can get.  Keep your 2 million dollar budget titles.  Give me something simple and addictive and I might never turn on my XBOX 360 again.  Every one who has played this game are the same people who tend to put Plants versus Zombies on their best of the year list.  Perhaps it might even end up on best games of ALL TIME.  It is certainly the best Popcap game ever made and that is saying something.

 

     6. Torchlight (Runic Games PC): Torchlight is an updated version of Diablo and boy does it do it's work well.  This single player budget title is SO Diablo that there is nothing like it out there. It works as well or better than Borderlands at its loot whoring.  The game allows you to only play single player but hey, with Runic having a MMORPG in the works I think we can wait for a true, full multiplayer experience.  The game takes all the problems of Diablo and fixes them.  If the game had, had even LAN play it would have probably been heralded as the second coming of Diablo and made more money than Modern Warfare 2 on opening day.  But even without the multiplayer this is the best $20 game I've ever purchased.

    5.  Dragon Age Origins (Bioware XBOX 360/PS3/PC): Dragon Age was probably the greatest RPG to ever be released.  The amount of dialogue choices and depth of story make this game so good that you can't only play it once.  I dare you, try it.  Having been my first MAJOR PC purchase of of 2009 I was shockingly pleased with how absolutely incredible and deep Dragon Age Origins is.  I have been playing this game on and off since the game was released.  At one point I was playing 5 hours a night every night for around three weeks.  The game has such a deep and seemingly endless store of content on just what comes in the box that the prospect of player created campaigns make this game one for the ages.  We will surely be talking about Dragon Age Origins when we talk about Bioware's greatest contributions to the RPG genre in the near future.

     4. Batman Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady XBOX 360/PS3/PC):  The greatest super hero game in history was the first and only game I've EVER reviewed and played on two different consoles during the same period.  The game is not only a milestone for super hero video games but for action games in general.  Everything in this game works, perfectly.  With only minor points off for repetitive boss battles.  The upcoming sequel couldn't be more anticipated.  Everything that Batman does; it does well.  While I loved the game on both consoles, this was definitely a PS3 standout and should be picked up on the black box with the Sony logo on it, for maximum enjoyment and effect.

     3. Forza Motorsport 3 (Turn 10 XBOX 360) Whether you are an old pro at driving games or this is your first time off the starting line there is no better racing game.  Everything from customization, to being able to race every car you've ever wanted to  is in this game.  You can even create your own designs and sell them for virtual cash online at storefronts or in auctions.  There is no game that does what Forza does. Even the forthcoming Gran Turismo 5 looks like more of a variation than an improvement to Forza's excellent systems.  No one wanting to go fast, could go wrong picking up a copy of Forza 3. 

       2. Demigod (Gas Powered Games PC):  Yes this game came out back in April on the PC only and I have it on #2 on my list.  Also there probably are around 1,000 people in the world still playing this game.  Believe me it's not easy to get a gaming going online these days.  This new take on Defense of the Ancients formula was probably the most mind blowing title for me this year.  I loved every aspect of the game, with perhaps the exception that hardly anyone is playing it.  As an Impulse exclusive online and a require install for the box copy; the growing digital distribution company could have done better by doing more advertising and less bragging.  However, the game is still wonderful.  I just wish the game could have done better and been seen by a bigger audience.  Perhaps a console version?

      1. Modern Warefare 2 (Infinity Ward XBOX 360/PS3/PC): Yes the greatest media event of all time was and has been the only game in my XBOX 360 for weeks.  There is no better multiplayer experience out there.  No game better shows what a shooter can be than Modern Warfare 2.  The game is incredible.  Even more than the first game, MW2 is composed of a series of stunning moments in the single player.  Come for the incredibly short single player campaign, stay for the incredibly deep multiplayer.  And play Spec Ops if you have any time left from the other two.  This is a game we will all still be playing when part 3 comes out; and really what other game except MMOs can say that?

    Wow, I haven't even finished this and I can all ready hear the complaints.  Devils, 2 fighting games and 2 downloadable games?  What are you doing?  What about Assassins Creed 2 or Left 4 Dead 2?  What about Halo ODST?  Well, I haven't finished the first 2 and don't get me started on Halo ODST.  There is probably even some folks out there saying, "Hey where is Borderlands?"  And to them I say, when I finish the game I'll review it.  As it stands, I have a better chance of finishing Dragon Age a second time than completely Borderlands right now.  I'm all fill up on my FPS, sorry.  So perhaps this isn't the most complete list, but that wasn't the purpose of this list.  The above games are those that I've played and enjoyed the most over the past year.  All others are above #10; sorry guys maybe next year.

No comments: